Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chocolate Chip and Nut Streusel Coffee Cake

Maybe your taste buds are aching to have a go at a recipe from Sweet Utopia after reading my last entry.  Here's the first promised recipe.  Of everything I tasted, this was by far my favorite and I hope that you enjoy it, too!  As I mentioned, you can replace the granulated sugar with date sugar and it tastes great.  Everything else we kept the same.  For the vegan butter substitute I think we used Coconut Oil.  We did not have a springform pan and just used a 9 in. square pan, which worked just fine.  Also, we do not have an electric mixer and did not find it necessary.

Chocolate Chip and Nut Streusel Coffee Cake
from Sweet Utopia by Sharon Valencik

For Coffee Cake:
2 c. AP Flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. soy cream cheese
1/2 c. vegan butter substitute, room temp.
3/4 c. soymilk
2t. white vinegar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. nondairy choc. chips

Streusel Topping:
1/3 c. granulated, brown or turbinado sugar
1 1/2 t. ground cinnammon
1/2 - 2/3c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven: 350 degrees.  Oil and flour a 9 in. springform pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  In a separate large bowl, combine sugar, cream cheese, and "butter."  Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.  Beat in soymilk, vinegar, and vanilla extract.  Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Pour half of the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan.

To make the streusel topping, combine the sugar and cinnamon.  Add the nutes and toss until evenly mixed.  Sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the batter in the pan.  Pour the remaing batter evenly into the pan and sprinkle with the remaining streusel topping.

Bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top.  Cool before removing from the pan and slicing.

chocolate chip and nut streusel coffee cake2


Thanks to the Book Publishing Company for allowing me to share this wonderful recipe with you!

13 comments:

affectioknit said...

That looks really good and chocolatey!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! That looks really good and chocolatey!

S&D
Book publishing company

River said...

Gorgeous! It looks wonderfully moist inside and crunchy on top! *LOVE*

Jenny said...

Coffee cake always sounds so good to me. I gave you an award on my blog!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Thanks guys! I promise, you won't be sorry with this one ;)

Jenny - Thanks so much!

sara said...

thanks for visiting my blog! that coffee cake looks so rich and yummy! i need to add that cookbook to my wishlist.

jess_fildespages said...

oh man. just-oh man. this looks too good. i'm putting it up on my recipe list!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Sara - I was happy to find it :) Yes, it's a keeper.

Jessica - ;) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Ha, what a funny coincidence, I currently have this very cake cooling on my counter, waiting for it's photo op! Glad to know that I'm in for a treat... Yours looks delicious.

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Enjoy it! Can't wait to see your photos ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh :) i just saw that recipe and aaahh it looks so good!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

14 - Try it! It's great :)

Blogger said...

3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!