Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Something Simple

It seems easy to spend hours in the kitchen, especially when trying a new recipe.  You don't want to miss a step and want to put all the pieces together to test out someone else's discovery and learn something new.  Though, I enjoy such things, I feel there is nothing quite like looking at the things you have on hand and putting those to good use.  This could almost be a Pantry Raid-type entry.  The difference is my pantry raids usually start as a frantic "what the hell are we going to eat tonight?" until I open a magical door or two in the kitchen and realize that we will survive.  With these meals I had a vague idea of something I wanted to use and went from there.  All of these were quick and easy, and most likely involved some sort of leftover from another meal (seitan, falafel, rice, etc.).

Creamy Seitan and Rice


2-3 c. seitan
10-12 oz. tomatoes (feel free to use more!)
ground bl. pepper
red pepper flakes
paprika

Rice (mixed with margarine and tamari)

 For this dish, I sauteed an onion for about 3 min.  Then tossed in seitan to brown.  Once it was to my liking, I added in the rest of a 28 oz. can of tomatoes (probably 10-12 oz.).  Once the rice was done cooking I mixed in tamari and margarine.  This was then thrown in with the rest and mixed up.  I think I threw on some other spices, like paprika, pepper and red pepper flakes.  But, this is one of those things that will change each time you make it anyway.;)  Top with nutritional yeast and that's it!

Cannellini Sausages, Veggies and Rice 

If you haven't made Vegan Dad's Breakfast Sausages, you should!  He is probably the Master of vegan faux meats.  We have made these numerous times and love them!  Usually I make them the size described in the recipe, ping-pong balls stretched out.  But we decided to make them larger yesterday for some Tofu Bennies (from Vegan Brunch).

2 large cannellini bean sausages, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1/3 head of cabbage, sliced in 2 in. pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 handfuls of spinach
fresh ground black pepper
cayenne pepper
rosemary
coriander
water
rice

After heating skillet with a little oil, brown sausages.  Remove sausages from the pan and set aside.  Toss in onion, carrot and cabbage.  Saute for about 7 min., tossing in the garlic for the last minute.  Add sausage, spinach and spices.  After mixing, add 1-2 cups of water for cooking and to create a thin sauce.  Allow to simmer for 15 min. or so, until carrots have softened.  Mix in rice and it's ready to serve.

I may have forgotten some spices, so if I think of them I will update.  But throw on whatever sounds good to you! 

DIY Stitch Markers
Today I was determined to finish knitting a hat, but needed stitch markers.  The last ones I cut up from a thin piece of cardboard fell apart and since the yarn shop is closed today (and I didn't want to go to one of the BIG stores), it was up to me.  I've seen some fairly simple looking homemade markers that use jewelry making materials, but I wanted something quick (a bit anxious to finish!).  So, first I posted on Ravelry boards to try to avoid an hour of searching (which is what I do, constantly looking for another idea).  After an hour of no results (impatient), I looked up some ideas.  I found this idea to use leftover yarn pieces and was hooked.  But then, skimming through a craft box I found some metallic pipe cleaners.  These were super easy, a real cut and bend procedure.  One thing about these, though, is that they strip off a bit as you knit, leaving behind little bits of shine in the project.  So, maybe not the best option, but they worked today and I am pleased :)  I will post a pic. soon!

3 comments:

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Delicious and hardy dishes! I haven't made Vegan Dad's breakfast sausages yet, but I will remember to make them next time I'm in the mood for something sausagey.

Show us your hat! :D

fiddlewitch said...

my thrifty stitch markers (a la aunt norma and mama ruthie) are made by punching holes about 1/2 inch apart all over a plastic lid (like used to come on cottage cheese in the old days) and cutting the holes out with scissors. they're lasty as well as thrifty. will fit up through size 10. for 10 1/2 and above, the yarn loops, eh?

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

River - you definitely should! The hat will come soon :)

Jo - If I ever get a hole punch I bet recycling plastic would work much better than thin, flimsy cardboard. Thanks!