Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Local: Pizza at the Grotto


We borrowed Adam's Mom's camera for the Vancouver trip in June.  I took this opportunity to slip the small traveler into my purse and snap shots of local restaurant eats as promised ;)

The Grotto is a local joint in Springfield, MO that serves pizza, sandwiches and salads.  A vegan menu is available at request, which makes the experience even better.  The most exciting thing about the Grotto is vegan cheese!  I could hardly believe it when a friend told me about this place last year.

We went out for a girls' lunch since Hannah (sister) was in town for Tori's (niece) graduation.  The crew included Mom, Hannah, Tori, Madi (niece) and me.  

First up, appetizers!  Homestyle chips seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and hummus with herbed focaccia.


The chips were slightly crisp and had a nice delicate herby flavor.  The hummus was decent, but pretty average.  I was happy to see the extra oil on top :)  It was a little more oil than necessary, but since it's been dry on previous occasions it was a welcome sight.  Their focaccia was quite nice; flatbread sprinkled with herbs and sea salt and slightly crisp.

Did I mention how enticing it looked?


We ordered two large pizzas.  Hannah and I decided that it was important to have plenty of food and had no fear of taking home leftovers if necessary ;)

The Vegan Veggie Medley features a light marinera with roma tomatoes, grilled squash, red onions, portabello mushrooms, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and fresh herbs.


Nicely loaded with veggies and very satisfying.  Check out the huge slice on my plate!


Our second pizza was a classic Vegan Margherita.  Also very pleasing.


A very satisfying meal :)  Adam and I enjoyed the leftovers cold.  It was definitely just as good the second time around ;)

Almost forgot photos of happy people!

Hannah, Tori, and Madi = 3 lovely ladies!
My lovely Mom :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The appetizer looks amazing! Of course the pizzas look awesome, too. And I love olives on pizza!

affectioknit said...

The pizza looks amazing! We love pizza!

Rose said...

Those pizzas look soo good, and the hummus plate is especially appetizing! Sounds like a wonderful meal with friends and family. If I make it to Vancouver, I'll check this place out for sure.

Vegfox said...

It was very good :)

Rose - It's actually located in Springfield, MO. Sorry for the confusion! I updated the entry so it's more clear ;) I am super excited about heading to Vancouver, though! We're going in June.

Sindy said...

Wish there was a place like that in my town- YUM!

Jenny said...

Uh, hello! Grotto, here I come! An actual vegan menu in Springfield?!

Vegfox said...

VegSpinz ~ I feel very lucky that in a place with so few options we have some like these.

Jenny ~ It's true! Isn't it amazing? I was surprised and delighted my first time :)