Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Test Kitchen: Soy Curls and Spicy Nothings Curry Sauce


Soy Curls + Spicy & Tangy Curry Simmer Sauce = One Lethally Tasty Combo

A couple of months ago I added a package of Butler Soy Curls to our bulk order. I've been curious about these for awhile now, but none of our local stores carry them. When I discovered that these were available through Azure Standard, my wait was over! We put in a bulk order through Azure about once a month through a local buying co-op. It helps us to save money on things like organic raw nuts, beans, and rice. (It's been awhile since I've posted one of our orders, so I will try to do one for April or May ;)

The Mighty Soy Curl

I'm a curious gal, so I had a taste fresh out of the package. Nothing special at this point, just flavorless and crunchy.

For those who are unfamiliar with Soy Curls, they are a dehydrated product (like TVP) made from whole soybeans. After re-hydrating, you can add them to a stir-fry or favorite recipe.

Mama Jean's (our local Natural Foods Market) carries a line of Spicy Nothings curry sauces. Though it's great fun and tasty to make a sauce from scratch, we like to have some things like this on hand for those nights when I want something fresh at home that takes a little less time and effort.

While waiting for the soy curls to re-hydrate, I chopped and stir-fried some fresh veggies (5-7 min.). I removed the veggies, added a little oil and the soy curls to my skillet. Once they were lightly browned (~10 min.), I added the simmer sauce and about 1/2 c. water. I left it on for 15-20 min. before adding the veggies back in. We served ours immediately over rice because we like the veggies still a little crisp. You could easily mix them in and leave the whole thing to heat for about 5 more min. before serving.


This is definitely a meal worth repeating! The sauce is decently thick and flavorful (even better if you add some extra chili pepper powder or hot sauce) and the soy curl texture is excellent (tender and slightly chewy when lightly browned).

5 comments:

blessedmama said...

Hey, I'll have to look for that sauce. It sounds great. I haven't had any soy curls in years. I used to order them from The Farm, but I stopped ordering - I was spending too much $$. If I can find them in a local store, I'll give this a try. Glad to see you again!

Jenny said...

My sister and I were just talking 2 nights ago about ordering some soy curls. From what I remember Mama Jeans' prices are comparable and even better than Whole Foods. Do you know of some things that are def. cheaper on Azure? I know produce is. I just haven't had too much time to compare everything yet so curious what others have found.

Vegfox said...

blessedmama ~ Thanks lady! I know what you mean. It's so easy to want to pick up a bit of everything that looks good. Definitely give them a try if you're in the mood!

Jenny ~ We definitely save money buying beans, buts and rice in bulk. We've bought almond milk and soy milk through them before too. They even have Daiya now! Many things seem cheaper through them. I'm currently in love with Betty Lou's Just Great Stuff bars.

Victoria Rose said...

I've certainly missed experimenting with foods while I've been away at school, so I might have to stop by sometime this summer to try those soy curls! xo

Vegfox said...

Oh lady, I will definitely be buying and fixing them again!