Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegan Mofo: Coconut Bacon


I've been meaning to post this for a looong time. It all started with this Simple Coconut Bacon on VegWeb.

Coconut Bacon (For measurements see link above or measure to taste)

Coconut Flakes
Tamari (or soy sauce)
Maple Syrup
Smoked Salt
Apple Cider Vinegar (opt.)

Mix all ingredients in a dish until coconut flakes are well-coated. Let sit for as long as you can stand, 20 min. - 1 hour. Heat skillet on medium high and toast until lightly crisp and brown. These will crisp up a bit more as they cool.


We have served this on pizza (see Pizza Time!), as a breakfast side and as a soup topping (see below). We're planning sandwiches this week, so there may be a follow-up post ;) Coconut bacon is quite tasty! It's definitely hard not to stuff it all in your mouth before serving ;)



11 comments:

Just Us said...

Oh my...this sounds amazing. A must try for sure!

Jenny said...

Yeah! I'll try it! I love eggplant bacon, and I just bought a coconut for another reason. Thanks for sharing.

Vegfox said...

Thanks Michelle! - it's fun and tasty :)

Jenny ~ I have yet to try eggplant bacon and definitely need to. Do you have a good recipe for it?

Molly said...

I had the exact same response as Michelle when I read this. It sounds delicious!

Carissa said...

Yum! I've been wanting to make this for a while now. I've heard it's even better if you use fresh coconut and dehydrate it!

Vegfox said...

:) Try it Molly!

Carissa ~ That sounds awesome! I'm sure it would be even better. I want a dehydrator so baaaaaaaaaadly!!

Rose said...

Oh my gosh, I have to try this!!! I missed this post a few days ago...glad you linked to it again!

Vegfox said...

Rose ~ Do it! Can't wait to see how you use it :)

Lee said...

Wow, this looks really intriguing. I'm going to bookmark it for a future experiment!

Vegfox said...

Lee, I look forward to your experiment ;)

Pj said...

Coconut bacon?! That sounds awesome. So many different ways to make vegan bacon, that's awesome.