Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Honest Scrap

Please, check out this blog: Vegan Thyme.  If you've been there before then you know why I'm recommending it.  If you haven't, you'll soon find out why.  Not only does Kelly make great food, but she's thoughtful and has interesting things to say about her life.  And she has completely flattered me with an award!  I can hardly believe it.  When I popped on her site for a daily review and noticed my name in a list of ten, well I had to look over it again to be sure, I just couldn't believe it!  I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and am flattered by any recognition and comments I receive, and then she gives me an award!  I am so honored.  Thanks Kelly!

So what is this award?  Well, that's a good question.  It's origin is a bit of a mystery.  Over at Vegan Thyme and Cajun Chef Ryan (the one who nominated her) I learned that it came about in 2008 and the logo came from a brand of chewing tobacco or snuff.  Wild, huh?  I tried to search it myself, but after two pages of googling I had enough and decided that it didn't really matter.  I think the important thing is to recognize the one who gave it to you and those who you will pass it on to.  Kind of a "thanksgiving" type of thing, you know?

Well, I'm a little nervous, being new to the blog world and to get so honest with you, but I will do my best.

The Rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to that blog post.  (Kelly (Vegan Thyme) thank you so much, again!)
2. Tell ten honest things about yourself and make them interesting, even if you have to dig deep!
3. Pass the award on to ten bloggers you feel embody the spirit of Honest Scrap, and whose blog you find brilliant in design and/or concept.

My "Honest Scrap" (These are the things that came to mind tonight):
1.  I rarely bake with sugar and try not to eat it, but I love coffee and tea too much to consider giving up caffeine.  (At least I watch my intake!)
2.  In Australia I got a $200 speeding ticket.  Pretty awful huh?  I was studying abroad for 4 months.  A few friends and I had rented a car for a couple of days in Melbourne over Spring Break.  We were driving along the Great Ocean Road, ending at the Twelve Apostles.  As we were leaving it started raining.  Hard.  So there we were, it's pitch black, raining, and I'm winding around hills on the wrong side of the road trying to get back to our hostle.  Just as we were coming back in to town I was pulled over.  They don't go easy on foreigners, either.  On the good side, the girls riding with me were good sports and split the ticket with me - how awesome is that?!
3.   I became vegan in Feb. 2007.  I was planning to give up meat for awhile and my boyfriend suggested that I watch "Meet your Meat" to help me out (since I was whining so much about how hard it would be).  When I saw them cutting the beaks off of baby chicks I realized that vegetarianism was not good enough (it was all or nothing!).  And that's how I went from vegetarian to vegan in 8 hours or less.
4.  Possums used to piss me off.  Not sure why, but I used to want to kick them when I saw them and I would get angry just talking about them.  This isn't really the case anymore, though!
5.  I toured with a saxophone ensemble in China for 2 weeks (during the holidays of 2004).
6.  I went to school for music (saxophone).  When I decided that I didn't want to teach, I finished my degree and decided to just try out different things and see where life took me.  I am quite happy with my current position as a librarian in a teen department.
7.  I am consistently late or "just on time".  It's not a good thing.  I think I have a fear of being early and waiting around by myself or with nothing to do, and I seem to always be able to find something to do just before I need to be somewhere!
8.  My biggest dream is to some day own my own coffee shop/cafe.  Everything will be vegan, fairly traded, fresh, and wonderful!
9.  Cameron is my huge, sweet, lovable baby.  He's not vegan, but I will care for him his whole life.  I picked Cameron up at a pet shop while living in my first apartment (only rescue animals from now on!).  I knew he was the one when he took me on an adventure around the shop after being placed on the ground and then later, when he pounced from my shoulder onto a parrot's cage and knocked him down (the parrot had been hanging upside down).  I might mention that this parrot had been picking on me, pulling at my hair and squawking at me.  So, I guess that makes Cam my hero ;)
10.  Adam is my love who I plan to spend my life with.  We have been together for nearly 3 years and it's been wonderful the whole way through.  Though we attended the same college, I hardly knew him until my last semester.  He was two years younger than me and a composition student, a more quiet type than the loud-mouthed musician variety.  Luckily I had to drop out of Music History 1 the first go around and when I retook it Adam was in my class.  I was, also, taking Comp. lessons that semester, so we were in the Composers' society together.  And on blossomed our romance.  (I don't think I want to go into the "honest" details, haha.  Not that they're that bad!)

My "Honest Scrap" Nominations:
How did I pick?  They have blogs that I happily visit, I want to get to know them better, but mostly they just seemed like the right picks to me right now :) - meaning, I have my reasons! :)   Check these out, you won't be sorry!
*Scottish Vegan Homemaker
*Vegan in New England
*Skint Vegan
*Earthy Foody
*Going Down Swinging
*A Little Hungry
*Bitter Sweet
*Vegan Eats and Treats
*Be My Playground
*The Fairest Seed

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like my blog. I'll work on a new entry soon, to satisfy the criteria of Honest Scrap. :) I love your blog, too! :)
BTW, I can't link my comments here to my current blog, as it doesn't allow 'Name and URL', so the link goes to my old one, which has a link to the new one...

Anonymous said...

aw thank you! i think this is the first award i've been nominated for. that's cool that you were in melbourne (not that you got a fine though :( i got a $300 fine recently for going through a red light) i love melbourne, it's where i've lived for almost 2 years now.

weeseaweed said...

thanks for my award, too! i'll look forward to writing my reply post later today. cheers!

two vegan boys said...

I just found your blog. It is great.

DJ said...

Awww, I'm really flattered you picked my blog for this award! Now I've just got to think of ten things... should be a cinch!(-_o)

two vegan boys said...

Starting a co-op is pretty easy. I asked around, posted it on Facebook. There are two vegan families that participate, 1 vegetarian and one veggie that eats fish. They all love cooking vegan and have no problem doing so. I thought cooking large quantities of food would be a daunting task, but it hasn't been. I try to find easy, but tasty, not to pricy meals and double or triple. Throw it out there, you just might find some people interested. Hope you have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless! Thank you so much for nominating me. I love your ten honest facts. I too just started my blog, so to already have someone who admits to reading it just makes my day. I will put my ten up this weekend. Thanks again! Keep all the good vegan stuff on your blog coming. I love reading it!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

You are all welcome! You deserved it :)

I will definitely have to think more on the dinner co-op thing.

Bobbie said...

Cassie,
I am open to a dinner co-op. I don't know quite how it works, but I do know I'd like to expand what I know how to cook. We certainly have no problem eating vegan with the exception of margarine. My husband is very opposed to hydrogonated foods.I think I could learn a lot from you--I'm not so sure what I have to offer! Maybe a monthly co-op, would be a good place to start? Keep me posted!

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

A monthly co-op sounds like a good place to start to me! We'll talk about this soon :)

Reading in the Dark said...

Maybe you used to hate possums because they would always beat up on Spooky. That's why I always hated them...also, it's possible that they're the creepiest animals on Earth.