Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Perhaps the best Pumpkin Muffins

Yesterday morning was a perfect day for brunch :) A cold, snowy day with no work or need to leave the house. I decided to make a breakfast casserole and muffins. There was a partial can of pumpkin in the fridge and chocolate chips. Adam was in charge of rummaging through cookbooks for muffin ideas while I worked on the casserole. He discovered The Best Pumpkin Muffins recipe from VWAV, which had somehow slipped by me previously. What a great discovery! We prefer to use sugar alternatives (though I often make an exception for vegan chocolate...), so I made a few changes.

Substitutions:
Original ---> Sub.
Sugar ---> Date Sugar
Molasses ---> Brown Rice Syrup
Veg. Oil ---> Apple Sauce

Other Changes: No ground cloves (I'm not a fan with pumpkin) and about a cup of chocolate chips. (Click for full recipe)

Mmm...these were delicious and a new household favorite!


For the Scrambled Tofu Casserole I split 6 buckwheat biscuits in half and spread across the bottom of a 9" x 13" dish. On top of the biscuits I spread scrambled tofu and seitan mixed with a cheezy sauce. And then spread a thin layer of the rest of the cheezy sauce on top. (No pic of this one.)

A great sweet and savory combo!


I'd like to get to know those who stumble across this blog. So, here are two questions:
What is your current favorite cookbook?
What new (or new to you) cookbook are you most excited about?

4 comments:

Jo said...

What's the recipe for the cheesy sauce?

P.S. I like the plate pictured.

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Equal amounts of flour and nutritional yeast (I used about 3/8 of a cup) combined with salt and garlic powder in a saucepan. Add 1 & 2/3 c. water and mix thoroughly. Heat over medium heat until bubbling and thick. Once you have achieved a desired thickness, remove fom heat and add 3 Tbl. margerine and 3/4 tsp. mustard. More or less can be added depending on how cheezy you want it ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you are a fan of coconut but I make Isa'a coconut cupcakes from that cook book for every event I go to and I get so many compliments! Everything from that book is incredible. I love the pumpkin muffins too. But darn those coconut muffins. They haunt my dreams.

Cassie - Vegan Fox said...

Mmm...I do, in fact, like coconut. I will have to try those out!